KPMG Law has been ranked higher than ever before in The Legal 500 2019
The most prominent legal market assessor The Legal 500 ranks the KPMG Law Firm in Estonia higher than ever before in its most recent publication. We got on pedestal in almost all areas of our practice.
Our partners, heads of the practice areas and also lawyers have been highlighted. Risto Agur (banking, finance and capital markets; IP, IT and telecoms; and real estate and construction), Karin Kaup (commercial, corporate, M&A and employment), Joel Zernask (tax), Ksenia Kravtšenko (dispute resolution; and real estate and construction), Triin Antso (commercial, corporate, M&A) and Kaia Kuusler (employment). Among others, our two new partners, Kristina Laarmaa and Lauri Liivat, were also recognized in the elite list of “New Generation Lawyers“.
Customers have given us feedback in the following practice areas:
1. Banking, finance and capital markets (Tier 3): “KPMG Estonia is advising on the liquidation of Versobank, which the group is handling in connection with the business' other service lines. 'Good expert' Risto Agur heads the team, which recently added three lawyers from in-house positions in the banking sector. Veikko-Joel Kokk recently departed the firm for an in-house position. Ecoinomic is a key client for the firm, along with Landsbankinn, which the firm advised on several transactions.”
2. Commercial, corporate and M&A (Tier 3): “Karin Kaup heads the corporate practice at KPMG Estonia, which recently advised Kayfoam Woolfson on its cross-border acquisition of Uni Partners. The firm also recently acted for shareholders of streaming services company Mind in negotiating a share purchase agreement following a dispute between key shareholders. Senior associate Triin Antsov is another name to note.”
3. Dispute resolution (Tier 4): “At KPMG Estonia, Ksenia Kravtšenko, who arrived from Turnstone Law in March 2018, heads the practice, which has been involved in all disputes pertaining to the liquidation of Versobank. Other key clients include Sberbank, Glamox and Kekkilä. Ronald Riistan departed to establish Syndicate Legal.”
4. Employment (Tier 3): “As part of its role in the liquidation of Versobank, KPMG Estonia advised on the collective redundancy of all bank employees. Karin Kaup heads the 'professional' practice, and associate Kaia Kuusler is also recommended.”
5. IP, IT and telecoms (Tier 4): “Risto Agur heads the IP/IT practice at KPMG Estonia, which recently advised Eesti Post on the implementation of the GDPR. Another key mandate for the 'competent' team was advising Finmec on the registration of an EU trade mark.”
6. Real estate and construction (Tier 3): “KPMG Estonia is representing Kekkilä Eesti in a dispute against a local municipality over a mining permit. Risto Agur heads the 'knowledgeable' team, and Ksenia Kravtšenko, a May 2018 arrival from Turnstone Law office, is another name to note. Other key clients include Glamox and Alfons Hakans.”
7. Tax (For the first time, our Tax team also presented its work and received Tier 3 recognition): “KPMG Estonia recently advised cryptocurrency business Polybius Foundation on the tax structure of its operations, and tax-efficient employee incentive schemes. Joel Zernask heads the 'very business-minded' practice, and is noted for his 'depth of knowledge.”
Ratings are based on the period from August 2017 to August 2018 on the basis of advised transactions, projects and resolved disputes, feedback from our customers, as well as The Legal 500 interviews with our customers and competitors.
We thank all of our customers and partners for continued trust and confidence in us!
The Legal 500 Overview of Estonian Legal Market is available HERE.
The Legal 500 rankings are a series of international legal directories. For nearly 30 years, The Legal 500 has been analysing the capabilities of law firms across the world, assessing the strengths of law firms in more than a 100 jurisdictions. The ratings are based on feedback from clients, interviews, information submitted by law firms, and surveys by a team of independent researchers with extensive experience in the legal market.